I’ve cheated 😦
I said I wasn’t going to make real 35mm film simulations, but I did.
It all started with a new workflow that I’ve been trying to stick to for a while.
In the past I converted SOOC jpegs to a lower resolution to use on the internet, the original jpegs were kept, the converted one and I also had the RAW files, which all starts to take up a lot of space and an unclear overview through the different jpeg versions . The intention then was to work only in RAW, convert and watermark directly the ones I needed – but then I need a good Fujifilm Lut that is equivalent to the SOOC jpeg of my camera’s – I don’t have one, and I don’t like those that can be found.
The process for making a 35mm film simulation Lut is very different than for special effects. With a special effect there is (most of the time) nothing to compare, it just has to be right and you have to like it.
With simulating 35mm film, you try to get as close as possible to the original by adjusting all kinds of settings, then applying them to an identity Lut, restarting RT, reloading, comparing, re-appliyng, and so on … and unfortunately, the Lut is always a bit different.
A very time consuming activity – so, thousands of test pictures later …
not even close 😦 .
I had to adjust my strategy.
When you upload new pictures to your computer, Jpeg and Raw, and you start your favorite picture sorting and editing program – Darktable, Digikam…, you can view the thumbnails of your pictures in the library or lighttable, the Raw’s look the same as your Jpegs . While you know that a Raw actually looks very different. So your software uses information embedded in your pictures to make them look just like the SOOC Jpegs, right?
Yes / No, not quite, but for me that’s at least closer than guessing.
So I took a few pictures with my X-T20 which was set to Provia, and a few I found on internet of the X-T3, chose the five most uniform ones, and extracted a profile (well, it was a little bit more than that) No guessing, no comparing, no getting close to, just computed (but still fine tuning afterwards)
I then converted it to Lut.
And that’s how my first Fujifilm Provia Lut was born.
But all the work got me thinking,
Should the Lut be accurate ?
Can it be accurate ?
Are those build in film simulations from Fuji itself accurate ?
With Luts you have one big advantage, you don’t have the problem like with recipes that you need a certain type of camera to use the recipe. For example, on an X100 you cannot use the recipes of an X-T4, because many of those settings are simply not there. But even with cameras that have the same sensor and engine there are sometimes problems, as Ritchie Roesch wrote in his Fuji X Weekly yesterday.
There will always be a (slight) difference with different camera types, but that’s with recipes too, and even Fuji’s own built-in film simulations are slightly different for each type of camera. And then we do not even mention the effect a lens has on colors. That is why I have decided not to assign the Lut to a specific X-Trans sensor, maybe there will be improved versions in the future, but nothing else. In the end there is only one version that is “really” correct and exact, and that is the original Provia film itself.
As far as my version is concerned: you have to decide whether you like my version or not.
To download, scroll all the way down.
Results and Comparisons :
From Photographyblog.com I downloaded a few sample Jpg and Raw files from photographer Mathieu Gasquet with his X-T3, which they have kindly made available for download – many thanks guy’s ! Some of these files were used along with my X-T20 files as a color reference to develop the new Lut. Below I have a number of development examples and comparisons with two Lut’s by Stuart Sowerby and the PictureFX Lut.
Download PictureFX Fujifilm Provia (click on logo) :
Update 6/12/2020 : There was a problem with the provided internet files of the X-T3, the Jpeg’s used for comparison and to adjust the Lut settings were incorrect. It seems the files did not came from the X-T3 but where developped in Adobe Lightroom with an unknown lut or Adobe Fujifilm preset. As a result, my settings were completely wrong. The new Lut is built entirely around the parameters of the Fujifilm X-T20. Download here :
Dear downloader, it would be very nice if you let us know about your experience after using my film simulation. This can easily be done below via the “leave a reply” or you can also send a message via the menu above “about” and then on “contact”. Thank you in advance!